Where I live, Halloween is really popular with adults. My adult students often find it funny since Halloween is mainly a children’s holiday in a lot of countries. A lot of them get really into it and get all dressed up for my school’s annual costume contest. Others just think it’s weird.
Anyway, whatever their opinions are, here are some Halloween conversation questions to get your students into the holiday spirit.
Halloween Conversation Questions
- What do you know about Halloween? (How do people Celebrate?)
- What’s your opinion about Halloween? Is it a children’s holiday, or can adults celebrate it, too?
- Do people in your country celebrate Halloween? How do they celebrate?
- How do people celebrate Halloween in the city where you are now?
- Are there any holidays in your country that are similar to Halloween?
- Do you ever dress up in costumes? What’s your favorite costume?
- Did you ever go to a Halloween party? Describe it.
- What does the phrase “trick-or-treat” mean?
- Did you ever go trick-or-treating? If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
- Do you like candy? What’s your favorite kind of candy? Did you ever try candy corn?
- What is a jack-o-lantern? How do you make one?
- Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What kind of decorations do you have?
- Do you like horror movies? What’s the scariest movie you can think of?
- Did you ever go to a haunted house? What did you see there? Was it scary?
- Do you believe in ghosts? How about magical spells?
- Do you know any good ghost stories? Tell one!
- Are you superstitious? Do you think that black cats are bad luck? What other superstitions about bad luck do you know?
- What would you like to be for Halloween this year?
- Did you ever see dogs or other animals dressed up for Halloween?
- Do you prefer scary costumes, cute costumes, or political costumes?
Here is a convenient, printable version of these questions that you can hand out to your students: Conversation Questions About Halloween
Have you used my questions with your classes? How do you celebrate Halloween at your school? How do your students feel about the holiday? I’d love to know, so please take a moment and leave a comment in the box!
Looking for more beginner-friendly questions on a variety of different topics? You can find all of my Conversation Question posts right here: Speaking Questions