Where I live, Halloween is really popular with adults. My adult students often find it funny since Halloween is mainly a children’s holiday in a lot of countries. A lot of them get really into it and get all dressed up for my school’s annual costume contest. Others just think it’s weird.
Anyway, whatever their opinions are, here are some Halloween conversation questions to get your students into the holiday spirit.
Halloween Conversation Questions
- What do you know about Halloween? (How do people Celebrate?)
- What’s your opinion about Halloween? Is it a children’s holiday, or can adults celebrate it, too?
- Do people in your country celebrate Halloween? How do they celebrate?
- How do people celebrate Halloween in the city where you are now?
- Are there any holidays in your country that are similar to Halloween?
- Do you ever dress up in costumes? What’s your favorite costume?
- Did you ever go to a Halloween party? Describe it.
- What does the phrase “trick-or-treat” mean?
- Did you ever go trick-or-treating? If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
- Do you like candy? What’s your favorite kind of candy? Did you ever try candy corn?
- What is a jack-o-lantern? How do you make one?
- Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What kind of decorations do you have?
- Do you like horror movies? What’s the scariest movie you can think of?
- Did you ever go to a haunted house? What did you see there? Was it scary?
- Do you believe in ghosts? How about magical spells?
- Do you know any good ghost stories? Tell one!
- Are you superstitious? Do you think that black cats are bad luck? What other superstitions about bad luck do you know?
- What would you like to be for Halloween this year?
- Did you ever see dogs or other animals dressed up for Halloween?
- Do you prefer scary costumes, cute costumes, or political costumes?
Here is a convenient, printable version of these questions that you can hand out to your students: Conversation Questions About Halloween
Have you used my questions with your classes? How do you celebrate Halloween at your school? How do your students feel about the holiday? I’d love to know, so please take a moment and leave a comment in the box!
Looking for more beginner-friendly questions on a variety of different topics? You can find all of my Conversation Question posts right here: Speaking Questions
Where I live, people are always making small talk about the weather because it’s pretty unpredictable, and it’s always changing!
I just kind of assumed it was like that everywhere, until a student from Colombia pointed out that one major difference between this city and her hometown is that nobody back home ever speaks about the weather. She said that the weather there is always sunny, and pretty much the same all year round, so nobody really thinks to mention it. I thought that was pretty interesting because here it’s common to open your door in the morning and say, “It looks like a really nice day!” And then two hours later, you find yourself turning to a stranger in the elevator and saying, “Ugh, I think it’s gonna rain.”
Anyway, here’s a list of weather-related questions for your students to answer. These should work well if your students come from countries with different climates, or if you live in a city with unpredictable weather, like mine. As always, you’ll find a link to a printable handout at the bottom of the page. Let me know how they work out, in the comment section!
Conversation Questions About Weather:
- Describe the weather today.
- What’s your favorite type of weather?
- What type of weather do you dislike?
- How many seasons are there in your hometown? How many seasons are there in the place where you live now?
- What do you like to do on rainy days?
- What do you like to do when it is very hot outside?
- Does it ever snow in your country?
- Do you remember the first time you saw snow?
- What usually happens when it snows in your country? (Do schools close? Do people go to work? etc.)
- Is weather a common conversation topic in your hometown? How about in the city where you are now?
- Do you usually use an umbrella in the rain? How about in the sun?
- Are rain boots fashionable where you live? What else do people wear in the rain?
- What do you wear when it is very cold?
- How often do you wear sunscreen? Do you usually get sunburns or suntans
- What are the three worst things about the summer?
- What are the three worst things about the winter?
- Did you ever travel somewhere extremely hot or extremely cold? Where?
- Do you think that the season of your birthday affects your personality?
- Do you like air conditioning? Why or why not?
- Is the weather in your country different now from when you were a child?
You can print these questions out in a convenient handout format right here: Conversation Questions About Weather