Where I live, people are always making small talk about the weather because it’s pretty unpredictable, and it’s always changing!
I just kind of assumed it was like that everywhere, until a student from Colombia pointed out that one major difference between this city and her hometown is that nobody back home ever speaks about the weather. She said that the weather there is always sunny, and pretty much the same all year round, so nobody really thinks to mention it. I thought that was pretty interesting because here it’s common to open your door in the morning and say, “It looks like a really nice day!” And then two hours later, you find yourself turning to a stranger in the elevator and saying, “Ugh, I think it’s gonna rain.”
Anyway, here’s a list of weather-related questions for your students to answer. These should work well if your students come from countries with different climates, or if you live in a city with unpredictable weather, like mine. As always, you’ll find a link to a printable handout at the bottom of the page. Let me know how they work out, in the comment section!
Conversation Questions About Weather:
- Describe the weather today.
- What’s your favorite type of weather?
- What type of weather do you dislike?
- How many seasons are there in your hometown? How many seasons are there in the place where you live now?
- What do you like to do on rainy days?
- What do you like to do when it is very hot outside?
- Does it ever snow in your country?
- Do you remember the first time you saw snow?
- What usually happens when it snows in your country? (Do schools close? Do people go to work? etc.)
- Is weather a common conversation topic in your hometown? How about in the city where you are now?
- Do you usually use an umbrella in the rain? How about in the sun?
- Are rain boots fashionable where you live? What else do people wear in the rain?
- What do you wear when it is very cold?
- How often do you wear sunscreen? Do you usually get sunburns or suntans
- What are the three worst things about the summer?
- What are the three worst things about the winter?
- Did you ever travel somewhere extremely hot or extremely cold? Where?
- Do you think that the season of your birthday affects your personality?
- Do you like air conditioning? Why or why not?
- Is the weather in your country different now from when you were a child?
You can print these questions out in a convenient handout format right here: Conversation Questions About Weather